Who we are
The department is involved in several (international) projects leading to new system approaches like distributed databases in dbNP, semantic web knowledge bases for Open PHACTS, and cloud-based solutions for data or time intensive analyes. BiGCaT currently provides services to the scientific community, such as wikipathways.org, pathvisio.org, bridgedb.org, citedin.org and arrayanalysis.org. Maintaining these services 24/7 is a challenging task and involves both basic Linux server aspects as well as the smooth integration of scientific software.
You will be responsible for:
- Monitoring and maintaining the up-time of all our servers and the services running on those.
- Maintaining the department’s computer infrastructure. This includes installation, automatic backups, frequently required updates of the computer “fleet”, and deploying cloud, cluster, and other novel virtualization solutions.
- Keeping track and updating of our inventory of spare parts.
- Maintaining servers located at other geographic locations.
- Maintaining contacts with other technical partners in our internal, national, and international collaborations.
- Directing and engaging communications between the department and the ICT department of Maastricht University.
- Actively pursuit novel developments in computers science and relate those to the bioinformatics field.
- Support internal services.
You are able to:
- Deal with all the operating systems used in our department (GNU/Linux, Windows, Mac).
- Cope with the rapid development in the field.
- Provide help in maintaining and setting up code development support tools, such as version control systems.
- Explain novel ICT solutions to an audience of bioinformaticians.
- Work in an international environment.
- Explain the advantages of ODOSOS.
What do we offer:
Hours: 38.0 hours per week
Salary: € 1986 - € 3028
In summary, BiGCaT needs a dedicated full-time system administrator.
Conditions of employment
The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provisions also apply. For more information look at the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl, A-Z Terms of Employment.
Depending on the years of experience salary scale 7 or 8 is applicable. The salary will depend on qualifications and experience and ranges form € 1.986,- to € 3.028,- gross per month.
Contract type: Temporary, 3 years
For more detailed information on this position contact Egon Willighagen (email@example.com), or Andra Waagmeester (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications are preferably sent via AcademicTransfer.