Senior Bioinformatics Developer
Vacancy Number 219338JC
Department HGSC:INFORMATICS - NEX GEN - 99993647
Essential Functions and Duties
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at Baylor College of Medicine seeks an enthusiastic individual to work with software in a rapidly evolving research environment to support the advance of next generation sequencing technology and genomics research.
As one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting-edge genomic scientists, and new clinical sequencing initiatives.
- Develop, implement, document and unit testing of software for the analysis of next generation sequencing data including large dataset integration.
- Provide support for the existing production sequence QC and analysis systems, including the resolution of custom user requests.
- Follow prescribed practices for software version control, testing, and release engineering. Demonstrate sensitivity to end-user needs, reflected in design of user interface and application workflow.
- Apply analytical skills and creativity to solve diverse and challenging problems.
- Ability to prioritize and organize various tasks on projects.
- Present technical and analytical status in weekly meetings.
Required: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related programming field. Preferred: A degree in domain informatics (computational biology, computational chemistry, bioinformatics, clinical informatics).
Minimum Job Experience
Required: Three years of experience in bioinformatics software development. Preferences:
- Strong computational/programming skills; including experience with the following: UNIX environment; Clustered computing: (MOAB/Torque, PBS, or LSF familiarity) and parallelization in a cluster environment; Proficiency in a programming language such as Ruby, Java, or Perl.
- Ruby/Perl software development experience.
- Familiarity with multi-processing/threading methods, and workflow/pipeline tools.
- Experience producing code documentation.
- Exposure to statistical analysis of large datasets.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple software requirements.
- Ability to function independently and solve technically complex problems.
How to apply
Please apply directly using vacancy number 219338JC at http://www.medschooljobs.org