Question: Is The Biomart Registry Accessed Via The Bioconductor Package Out Of Date?
1
gravatar for Georg Summer
6.5 years ago by
Georg Summer140
Maastricht
Georg Summer140 wrote:

I am in the process of updating some annotations using the Ensembl Biomart. Using the biomaRt package in R I do the following:

mart = useMart("ensembl", dataset="rnorvegicus_gene_ensembl")
transcript_mart = getBM(
attributes = c(

    "ensembl_transcript_id",
    "ensembl_gene_id"),
filters="ensembl_gene_id",
values="ENSRNOG00000047860",
mart=mart)

The result is empty. I check on the website and get a result:

Ensembl Gene ID    Ensembl Transcript ID
ENSRNOG00000047860    ENSRNOT00000073930

So the thing is: The website uses Ensembl Genes 71 (the example gene was added with the new rat genome assembly in 70). I check the biomaRt package and it is the current 2.16.0.

listMarts()
biomart                      version
1 ensembl ENSEMBL GENES 69 (SANGER UK)

tells me though that biomaRt 69 is current.

listDatasets(mart)
                    dataset                       description version
12 rnorvegicus_gene_ensembl Rattus norvegicus genes (RGSC3.4) RGSC3.4

And uses the old genome assembly.

If I check the Biomart registry

http://www.biomart.org/biomart/martservice?type=registry

Still the old version 69 marts are listed.

So the question is: Am I missing something or is the biomaRt package/registry simply out of date?

biomart • 2.5k views
ADD COMMENTlink modified 6.5 years ago by Neilfws48k • written 6.5 years ago by Georg Summer140
2
gravatar for Neilfws
6.5 years ago by
Neilfws48k
Sydney, Australia
Neilfws48k wrote:

Yes, everything that you state is correct and it seems that version 69 is still the Bioconductor/biomaRt default.

You can use release 71 as explained in this post from the BioC mailing list: Useful information about Ensembl release 71 mart databases.

mart <- useMart(biomart = "ENSEMBL_MART_ENSEMBL",
                host = "www.ensembl.org",
                path = "/biomart/martservice",
                dataset = "rnorvegicus_gene_ensembl")

transcript_mart <- getBM(attributes = c("ensembl_transcript_id", "ensembl_gene_id"), 
                         filters = "ensembl_gene_id", 
                         values = "ENSRNOG00000047860", mart = mart)

transcript_mart
 #  ensembl_transcript_id    ensembl_gene_id
 # 1   ENSRNOT00000073930 ENSRNOG00000047860
ADD COMMENTlink written 6.5 years ago by Neilfws48k

Thanks for keeping my sanity intact :)

ADD REPLYlink written 6.5 years ago by Georg Summer140
Please log in to add an answer.

Help
Access

Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy.
Powered by Biostar version 2.3.0
Traffic: 769 users visited in the last hour