About Basecamp Research
Basecamp Research is building a home for the world’s biodiversity data. Our international, multidisciplinary team combines ethical exploration, metagenomic sequencing and data science to discover novel proteins for the bioeconomy, whilst sharing tangible benefits back to the communities that we’re collaborating with.
At Basecamp Research, we pride ourselves on being an exciting, fun and flexible place to work. If you feel passionate about exploring biology to build a better world, we’d love to hear from you.
About the job
We are looking for a NGS bioinformatician to join the data science team to help us achieve the goal of building the largest and most comprehensive biodiversity knowledge store. The endeavour will explore biodata collected from around the world often in unexplored locations and biomes where a majority of the data will be unknown, unannotated and constitute a large part of the undiscovered “microbial dark matter”.
The successful candidate will help build, expand and manage our sequencing and metagenomic data analysis production operations. They will have the opportunity to investigate new methods to maximize the curation of the microbial dark matter. This will be a strong collaborative role working closely with all teams at all data collection and analysis points. This will include but not limited to our biodiversity partners, field scientists, sequencing ops, ML scientists and commercial stakeholders.
Develop and run software to support the biodiversity and sample collection teams and genome sequencing operations. Our sequencing datastack includes second and third generation technologies.
This will include, in coordination with other team members, building and managing:
- A sample tracking pipeline and/or database that scales for use in sampling, sequencing and data operations.
- Expanding and improving our genome sequencing and analysis production pipelines, from data quality control to creating the best curated/labeled datasets.
- Write and document high quality code and methodology of processes.
- Keep up to date with current sequencing/genomics/transcriptomics/metagenomics methodologies and technologies that can help improve our analyses and processes.
- Contribute to problem-solving discussions within and across teams to generate ideas that will benefit all aspects of the organization.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A degree in the life sciences, computer science or similar.
- Knowledge of dna sequencing platforms (second and third generation) and experience working with their data types
- Experience with managing large datasets (essential)
- Experience with building databases (relational and/or non-relational) Experience and knowledge of unix based operating systems, libraries, and tools
- Knowledge and/or experience of tools used in bioinformatics both in genomics and/or protein biology
- Experience with git and Gitlab or Github
- Experience with a programmatic scripting language (python, perl etc) and shell scripting
- Experience with containerization (Docker, Singularity)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work closely with interdisciplinary teams
- Fluency in English
Additional skills (nice-to-have but not required):
- Experience with metagenomic data and knowledge of microbial genomics and/or protein biology
- Experience with Agile software development
- Experience using cloud solutions (AWS, GCP etc)
- Experience with workflow language tools (Snakemake, Nextflow, WDL)
- Experience with sample management and the scaling of continuous large scale datasets (genomics or related)
- Experience with a compiled programmatic language (C++, Java etc)
What we can offer you in return:
- The opportunity to be a key early member in our team in an exciting and fast-moving field
- Work with large, diverse datasets using latest sequencing, cloud and graph technologies and the opportunity to impact both the organizations analysis and sequencing methodologies
- A competitive salary & generous stock option plan
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- An international, diverse, and fun team to work with
- Training resources and conferences
- Exploring the world’s untapped biodiversity...
At Basecamp Research, we are committed to fostering an inclusive culture where our colleagues are supported to reach their full potential in an environment diverse in thought, background, and experience.
Link to the application can be found here.