We recently made a bioinformatics tool that predicts interactomes from a certain kind of proteomics dataset. We'd like to make it easy to use so it reaches as many people as possible. Unfortunately, we've written it in Matlab, which we're now realizing is a significant barrier for some people. To avoid Matlab, we've been told we might want to translate it to R or give it a web interface.
Offering our data analysis as a web service sounds like the more attractive choice. However, I've never set something like that up, so I'm wondering what I should consider before deciding. Some things I'd like answered:
- How big a job is this, generally? Should I be thinking about weeks, months... years?
- What am I probably not thinking about?
- How should I approach security?
- Is our bioinformatics tool (details below) a suitable candidate for a web service?
The details about our bioinformatics tool:
- Written in Matlab.
- Expected total number of users is low (dozens of users would be good).
- Operates on datasets between 1 and 25 MB, i.e. that's what the user would have to upload.
- Runs in a couple of hours for a typical desktop machine and dataset.