It's extremely easy to use
firehose_get to download TCGA data
This website is maintained by Broad Institute, the url is: http://firebrowse.org/, and all of the TCGA data are stored in below urls:
Obviously, you can go to these two urls directly to find what you want, but it's a little hard for the majority of us to do it. That's why they create a tool to help us to explore and download the TCGA data.
Which is firehose_get, https://confluence.broadinstitute.org/display/GDAC/Download
Firstly, you should download and install that tool, as below:
cd ~/biosoft mkdir firehose && cd firehose wget http://gdac.broadinstitute.org/runs/code/firehose_get_latest.zip unzip firehose_get_latest.zip ~/biosoft/firehose/firehose_get ~/biosoft/firehose/firehose_get -tasks clinical analyses latest brca
As you can see, you should run this scripts in terminal, there are 4 parameters for
firehose_get, which are:
-tasks, to determine what kind of data to download, such as Clinical CN LowP Methylation mRNA mRNASeq miR miRSeq RPPA MAF rawMAF
- analyses or data, you have to choose one of them, to tell the tool, level 4 or level 3 data you need.
- latest or other date, you should definitely choose latest, unless you want to follow a old paper.
- Tumor type: ACC BLCA BRCA CESC COAD COADREAD DLBC ESCA GBM HNSC KICH KIRC KIRP LAML LGG LIHC LUAD LUSC OV PAAD PANCANCER PANCAN8 PANCAN12 PRAD READ SARC SKCM STAD THCA UCEC UCS
- download all of the expression data (level 3 ) for BRCA:
~/biosoft/firehose/firehose_get -tasks rna data latest brca
- download all of the analysis results by using the rna data for BRCA:
~/biosoft/firehose/firehose_get -tasks rna analyses latest brca
Is it very easy?
However, to understand the data you download is not a easy thing.
Have fun with it ~~~
In fact, this tool is really simple, just to help you to download the data from their website, cause there are really too many data in it.
So, you can skip firehose_get, juse using wget as below :
wget -c -r -np -nH -k -L -p -A "*snp_6*hg19*" http://gdac.broadinstitute.org/runs/stddata__2016_01_28/data/BRCA/20160128/ ## the same as below: ./firehose_get -tasks snp_6 stddata latest brca