I am currently in the process of submitting sequencing data (raw reads) for multiple projects to SRA. During the first submission the process followed was:
- BioProject with my personal NCBI account
- create a group and invite members (PI, wet-lab student)
- Create and submit BioSamples, SRA.
This went fine but there are some issues:
- now I am the single project admin (can't change that in the page)
- Biosamples belongs to the group, but not SRA or Bioproject (no idea why)
- it seems that one can't create multiple groups (one per submission project since different people are involved in each)-
Ideally I would like to to have the PI as a first point of contact, and add me and others as admins as needed. Mainly to avoid the bus factor but also because in case I leave the group it would be good if the PI is ultimately responsible for all submissions.
- What is the best way to do it? Create an umbrella account for the group? Proceed as before and ask the SRA staff to change the group permissions manually?
- How do you do it in your group? I am particularly interested in the opinions of (embedded) bioinformaticians and core facility members.
GEO has some guidelines for this situation, but I don't think this is entirely applicable to SRA/Bioprojects.