Bioinformatics is expensive. To give you an example a one time insertion fee of a small ad into a major publisher' weekly email list costs around $600. Advertising on Google may cost over $1 per click. In parallel many are often frustrated by the delay of becoming aware of a new promising tool/technique. Most of the time one is at the mercy of publishing timeframes plus quite a few months it takes for an idea/approach to permeate through.
So why not change both? Biostar is created by its users and attracts an ever increasing audience. What if we provided an alternative that would make the community aware of your tools, techniques and discoveries and put them in front of the people that need it most. Here is a proposal on how it could work:
- Any Biostar user in good standing (a reputation over some limit say 250) may run ads for a nominal fee : let's say $10 per month
- The main restriction on ads is that it the user that runs the ad must have full or partial authorship (in the scientific sense) of the content they advertise
- Ads will be text based, one line maximum, inserted on the page to be visible but not intrusive
- Ads may be targeted to appear based on content of the page or tags
- Any bioinformatics related content may be advertised: a software tool, a technique, a book, a paper, a blog, a conference, an educational program etc
- Ads will get equal weight in being displayed and a certain minimum impressions will be guaranteed per month, more if there are fewer ads competing for spots
- Advertising is open to organizations as long the organizers are BioStar members (perhaps the fee would be a bit larger for them)
- Open for commercial products as long as condition 1 and 2 are satisfied.
- Important: any Biostar user that is qualified to run an ad is also entitled to opt out from seeing ads altogether, there will be an option on the user page to turn off ads
BioStar traffic for the last 30 days: Visits: 118,710, Unique Visitors: 61,282, Pageviews: 259,492
This idea is in an incipient stage and we welcome any ideas, suggestions and feedback. We see this as a way to serve two purposes, ensure the long term success of Biostar and promote the interests of the users that create the content here.