Notes for version 1.3.1
A new version of Biostar is now active.
Post closing and deletion has been slightly changed and full rules are as follows. As you can see below the rules always end up more complicated than initially anticipated.
- Any post (question, answer, comment) may be deleted without a trace by the author of the post as long as there are no other posts associated with it (comments, answers). Posts deleted this way cannot be recovered and are not kept in neither in the database nor in the logs.
- A moderator may delete any post. When this happens the post is removed from the public listing of the site. But the post still remains visible to other moderators and it may be restored to full status.
- A regular user may also delete their own post as long as it has only comments associated with it. In that case the post becomes invisible to the user but is still visible to moderators and the rules in point 2 apply. Moderators may restore the post.
- A regular user may not delete their own post if it is has followups such as answers associated with it.
- Regular users may not close their own posts.
Note: Moderators may still close posts, but I would recommend to use the feature sparingly as it appears to have clear negative effects whereas the benefits are less well defined. Post closing may be removed if those persists.
Notes for version 1.3.0
A new version of Biostar has been released today. The major additions are a so called external authentication and better autolinking.
The external authentication allows another authorized web service to create Biostar accounts and post questions with a certain context associated with these. We are evaluating this feature in conjuction with the Galaxy team as a potential way of linking Galaxy users to Biostar accounts and provide user support for those performing data analysis via Galaxy.
The parser will now recognize links to this site and will generate more meaningful links from them.
For example the url
Gene Id Conversion Tool added to a post will be displayed as Gene ID conversion tool. This
works with anchors as well
Gene Id Conversion Tool will expand to A: Gene ID conversion tool.
The previous style of shortcuts of writing
\post 22 has also been kept functional.
To disable autolinking wrap the url into inline code or a code block.
We started with just a few terms listed above and we are evaluating how well this works in practice.
To embed gists you may use a shortcut
\gist ialbert/ae46c5f51d63cdf2d0d2 or a full link
and each will be displayed as
YouTube embedding works via shortcuts
\youtube _cDaX0xJPvI or full url embedding