A Bioinformatics Analyst position is available within the Bioinformatics Consulting Center at the Pennsylvania State University.
The position is supported by the Huck Institutes for the Life Sciences and requires the candidate to work with multiple project investigators to design and implement computational pipelines operating on data produced by high throughput sequencing instruments.
- developing and/or maintaining existing software pipelines for analyzing high throughput sequencing data;
- identifying, evaluating and documenting new methodologies to support ongoing research needs;
- writing code and developing solutions to computational biology problems.
The Bioinformatics Analyst will become part of an interdisciplinary team composed of other bioinformatics staff, students and researchers and is expected to interact with other life scientists to assist them with identifying analytical support needs and subsequently carrying out computational data analyses as needed.
The position requires an advanced degree and two-three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Successful candidates are expected to:
- show an in-depth understanding of the computational analysis methodologies required for processing data from genomic technologies: ChIP-Seq, RNA-Seq, metagenomics, genome assembly or others.
- be able to handle and process data in common bioinformatics formats.
- possess a knowledge of available bioinformatics tools and genomic data repositories.
- demonstrate a track record for delivering bioinformatics solutions.
- exhibit programming skills in one or more programming languages: Python, Perl, Java, C and/or numerical platforms: R, Matlab, Mathematica.
- handle large data sets generated from sequencing instruments.
- demonstrate excellent communication skills.
This is a fixed-term appointment funded by the Huck Institute for the Life Sciences for one year from date of hire with excellent possibility of ongoing re-funding.
Level/Salary Band/Classification: 04 - L: $54,900 to $115,272 depending on qualifications.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and a CV to Dr. Istvan Albert at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further questions and clarifications may be requested in a private email or publicly via the Biostar job post Experienced Bioinformatics Analyst, Bioinformatics Consulting Center, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, USA
The position will be open until filled.