NovaSeq 6000 - 6 Tb data/20 billion reads in 2 days (max possible output)
NovaSeq 5000 - 2 Tb data/1.6 billion reads in 2.5 days
- Four new flowcell types (S1,S2,S3,S4), 2 x 150 bp max, 2 x FC per sequencer.
- On board cluster generation.
- Two reagent cartridges. One for the cluster generation, the other for SBS reagents.
- New type of base call files (*.cbcl), can be converted to fastq.
- $850K for NovaSeq 5000 and $985K for NovaSeq 6000 (from Genohub blog)
A blog entry from Genohub indicates that these sequencers are using TWO color chemistry.
NOTE 1: Two color chemistry has been confirmed.
NOTE 2: Flowcell types can be mixed and matched. S1/S2 are restricted for NovaSeq 5000, all four can be used on NovaSeq 6000. Even though the flowcells have "lanes" like the NextSeq, they may have a single inlet port so only one sample pool per FC. Needs to be confirmed.
PS: If you were hoping to buy one be ready to wait. Apparently Illumina has pre-sold all NovaSeq they can make for a quarter or two this year.
S4 flowcells are now available. 48 human genomes per run (varbatim quote from Illumina). 6 Tb, 20 B reads, 2 x 150 bp.
There is also NovaSeq Xp workflow which allows loading of different pools in each lane. This would be essential for core facilities.
S1,S2 - Flowcells for counting applications
For S2 - PF 1775-2070 cluster/mm^2
S3,S4 - High coverage applications
Same cartridges on both sides (three total).
Reagent Cartridge - Will take one library tube (200-300 pM) per FC.
SBS Reagents - Frozen
SBS Buffers - Room temperature ship/store. Ready to use.
- FC looks huge, like NextSeq. Easy to place. No futzing needed.
- Run setup identical to current HiSeq sequencers.
- Mix/match flowcells.
- Two sides of the instrument can work independently (stream data to BaseSpace on on side, store locally on other side).
- Automatic post-run wash once sequencing is complete
- Run times includes cluster generation.
- Network speed (200 mbps)
- ONE library pool per flowcell. Lanes visually distinct but fluidically same
- Both 5000/6000 are dual FC systems. For 5000 systems run times slightly longer
- Custom primers possible
- Asymmetric runs possible (e.g. 100 x 75)
- No "Rapid" run capability needed (Illumina's take)
- FC's can be used for single and paired-end recipes
- ExAMP, all self contained in the sequencer
- 200/240V, adequate HVAC
Test NovaSeq data is available on BaseSpace.