I am Paolo, a software engineer attending Google Summer of Code 2014 (GSoC).
GSoC is a program promoted by Google in which organizations and students work together on free and open-source coding projects for 3 months. I was selected by INCF and I'll be working on NeuroStars in the period May 19 - August 18. My mentors are Roman and Satrajit and I will work close to Istvan.
NeuroStars is a question and answer website born from the need to discuss and share knowledge about neuroscience and neuroinformatics. It originates from BioStars.
The coding period has not started yet, but so far we have a bunch of points in our minds:
- Deployment: improve the deployment strategy.
- Usability: improve the usability of the website. We should define the exact features we would like to introduce and we will be asking this community for feedback. Multi tag filtering and integration with emails could be a good example.
- Semantic backend: create a semantic backend such as data like questions, answers, comments, profile, etc. could be exchanged with other websites.
We will work on a fork of the Biostars codebase, but our priority is to maintain a complete compatibility between NeuroStars and Biostars such as our work could benefit both the neuroinformatics and the bioinformatics communities.
Feedback from users is very important, especially when it comes to usability: so please if you have any idea about new features or bug fixes, please share it with us.
Some features have already been discussed here, a wrap up:
- RSS feed to local messages.
- Answers in Markdown.
- "Cancel" button in "Edit comment" mode: link
- Open search results in new tabs on right-click: link
- Pagination with page numbers: link-1 and link-2
- Post preview: link
- Issue with old accepted answers: link
- Issue with images: link
- Improve search by tag: link. Add a multi tag search option.
- Issue with small displays: link
- There is no clear signup button/link in the home page. In order to signup one should first click on "User Login" and then on a link in the "Quick Login" section. Maybe we should use a clearer nomenclature for the 2 processes: signup and login.
- Dates like "4.6 years ago" are not user-friendly. Better use the following patterns:
- just now
- 59 sec(s) ago
- 59 min(s) ago
- 23 hour(s) ago
- 2 days ago
- May 18
My blog about the GSoC experience: http://nimiq.github.io/my-summer-of-code/articles/