In 2008, Michael Barton conducted the Bioinformatics Career Survey whose results are still available on openwetware: http://openwetware.org/wiki/Biogang:Projects/Bioinformatics_Career_Survey_2008
The results of this survey have been used in biostar:
and elsewhere (http://genomebiology.com/2008/9/12/114)...
We would like to repeat this survey and, with the rise of Twitter & co, we could receive more answers than previously. Here, I'm asking the BioStar community what are the questions that you would like to see in this survey, what do you want to know about the community.
Here are a few suggestions based on the previous survey. Feel free to suggest some new questions or to complete the following ones:
- profile: name, latitude & longitude, (this should be optional, I remember some people didn't want to be identified)
- subject (shall we use a controlled vocabulary=SW)
- Research Areas (SW?)
- programming languages (SW?)
- favorite tools
- social web (biostar, twitter...)
- do you contribute to wikipedia?
- what the best way to build this survey? etc...
PS: hashtag: #bioinfsurvey
PS: community wiki.
Edit: Michael started a repository on github: https://github.com/michaelbarton/bioinformatics-career-survey
Edit2: the survey has started, take it here: http://bioinfsurvey.org/