People in a laboratory, working one the same project, generate all kind of files (fasta, images, raw data, statistics, readme.txt, etc...) that will be moved in some directories. How do you manage the hierarchy of those directories ?
- there is no standard hierarchy and the file are dropped anywhere. It all relays on the common knowledge.
- there is a clearly defined hierarchy (PROJECT_NAME/DATE/machine_user_image_result_but_this_is_the_second_run_because_1st_failed.txt...)
- files are uploaded on a wiki (you wouldn't do that for large files)
- there is a central file/wiki answering what/where is a file
- there is a Readme.txt/describe.xml in each folder.
- there is a tool (?) for managing this kind of information ?
- (...) ?